Let's help them remember what they promised. I changed the petition letter to target the new politicians responsible for animal welfare in the new government like this:
Dear Bjarne Laustsen and Kristen Touborg,
Congratulations with your victory in the recent Danish elections.
I would like to take this opportunity to remind you of the still on-going suffering of dogs and dog owners in Denmark. Suffering that was caused by the discriminatory BSL laws (hundelov) implemented by the former Danish government. I read the reports by Cecilie Thorslund "Danish breed ban rests on historically thin basis" and the recent research of the Danish association "Fair Dog" documenting that dog bite incidents still increase even one year after BSL was implemented in Denmark.Every time the petition is signed, the politicians responsible for animal welfare in the new government, will receive the above e-mail.
I am writing to you to ask you to re-evaluate the Danish BSL, as you promised during the elections. That BSL doesn't work is the experience from other countries too, like Holland and Scotland, which are a lot like yours. Although BSL does not make people feel more safe and decrease the number of dog bites, it does lead to endless suffering of individual dogs and dog owners, who have done nothing wrong. A new legislation where the deed is punished and not the breed, is needed.
Keep on voting!
Animal welfare spokesman for the political party, The Social Democrats
Animal welfare spokesman for the political party, the Socialist People's Party.
- Welcome to the "Wall of Shame": Irene Jarnved
- Welcome to the "Wall of Shame": Marlene Harpsøe
- Welcome to the "Wall of Shame": Jørgen Hindse
- "Facts" is not a store you can shop in
- The face of a breed ban: make your voice heard
- Dog bite incidents increase: BSL has no effect
- Open letter about BSL was answered ... was it?
- Danish breed ban rests on historically thin basis
- A week of discussing breed bans without facts
- Open letter to Merete Eldrup
- How BSL can bring a whole country into madness
- BSL up close and personal